People were really obsessed with spices back in the day when Cristopher Columbus lived. They desired them and even traveled long distances so as to discover new ones. Nevertheless, Christopher Columbus was the most obsessed of all men, and he travelled all round the world looking for turmeric, cinnamon and ginger. Namely, he was particularly obsessed with the black pepper.
Despite the fact that this spice is immensely overlooked nowadays, it was used as currency in the past. It is about time that people start appreciating black pepper again. Black pepper, and especially black pepper oil has a number of amazing health benefits.
Black Pepper Essential Oil and Its Health Benefits
This oil has a number of medicinal properties, like carminative, laxative, expectorant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, diuretic, antispasmodic, stimulant, diaphoretic, and rubefacient, febrifuge and so on.
- Beneficial for the stomach: it promotes hydrochloric acid secretion in the stomach, thus improving digestion. Healthy digestion is critical for preventing diarrhea, colic and constipation. Moreover, it prevents intestinal gas formation and stimulates urination and sweating, thus eliminating toxic waste from the body.
- Weight loss: the breakdown of fat cells is stimulated by the outer layer of the peppercorn, therefore it is perfect for reducing fat and weight naturally.
- Skin health: vitiligo is a condition which leads to whitening of some parts of the skin, and pepper is an excellent treatment for it. Namely, piperine promotes the pigment production.
- Respiratory relief: because of its abilities to dissolve phlegm and mucus in the respiratory tract, pepper can relieve sinusitis and nasal congestion.
- Antibacterial activity: due to its antibacterial properties, pepper fights infections and insect bites. Consuming it on a regular basis reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and cleanses the arteries.
- Antioxidant activity: because of its antioxidant abilities, pepper repairs damage caused by free radicals, thus protecting the liver, preventing cancer and heart diseases.
- Neurological health: one of the most potent compounds of pepper is piperine, and it has been proven that it reduces memory impairment and cognitive malfunction.
The way black pepper oil is consumed dictates its benefits. It can be inhaled, ingested or applied topically. Furthermore, read how to use this oil and reap its benefits.
When orally used, like added to your steak or BBQ sauce, this oil releases sesquiterpenes, which are powerful antioxidants which stimulate sweating and urination, thus eliminating toxins. Moreover, it increases production of bile, thus helping food breakdown and ensuring healthy digestion.
Apart from relaxing the body, this oil also relaxes the mind. When used aromatically with oils like juniper and lavender, it reduces mental stress and helps people in case of smoking cessation.
Finally, topical use of black pepper together with some carrier oil soothes pulls and cramps and relaxes the muscles. Due to its antispasmodic properties it reduces cramps, and its antioxidant properties eliminate uric acid from the blood, thus making it beneficial for people afflicted with rheumatism, arthritis and gout.